Saturday, August 30, 2008

My 1 Week Old Sisterlocks




Hello everyone!!! Did I tell you that I love my Sisterlocks? Yes I do!!! It has only been a week since the birth of my Sisterlocks, but I've already developed this love affair with my hair. I seem to be always looking at myself in the mirror...admiring my hair. As fellow Sisterlocker, Nicky, mentioned in her blog, I am also experiencing this thing with wanting to take pictures of myself. I find myself picking up the camera every chance I get...LOL.

A funny thing happened at church the other day. A member of my church approached me to take a look at my hair. I had mentioned to her I would be getting Sisterlocks soon. She looked my hair over and the next thing to come out of her mouth was, "How long are you keeping these things in your hair?” Ok…I immediately responded, “What do you mean how long am I keeping these in my hair? I am keeping them in forever…permanently.” She had this look of astonishment on her face. I just turned around and walked away with a smile on my face. I am wearing my Sisterlocks with pride and the negative responses I receive will only make me love them more. For the most part, I’ve received compliments on my hair with the exception of the “Girl, you are a good one for doing that….not me” talkers. I just think to myself…you keep doing you because I’m DEFINITELY doing me.

One thing I’ve noticed since the birth of my Sisterlocks is this wonderful feeling that is hard to explain to those who are not Sisterlocked or locked period. It is a feeling that has not only created positiveness within myself, but has taken me to a level of deep appreciation for my beauty. I used to wonder what my mother meant by this when she was Sisterlocked, but I have experienced it firsthand and now know for myself. I used to be so self-conscious about my hair and how it appeared to others. I now don’t care how it appears to others…as long as I love it…that’s all that matters! My husband and son love them and always compliment me on how wonderful they look.

Well…I’m going to go for now…gotta go tend to the family. I just wanted to stop in and give everyone a 1 week update on my Sisterlocks. Be safe, have faith, and be blessed!!!!

3 comments:

naturalnicky said...

Kiki,
Amen, Amen, Amen, Amen, Amen. You could not have chosen better words for this post. Oh, it just touched my heart. Do you think this is how Samson felt when he had his 7 locks? LOL. Someone in my church also asked me how long my hair was going to last in this style. I just explained to her that I am in the process of locking my hair and that my hair will be like this forever.
Just keep taking those pictures because you look like a Hollywood beauty. I love the theme that you used for your slideshow. Beautiful.

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Looking good!

Anonymous said...

kIkI, U R A Beautiful Nubian Queen. Your locks are soooooooo cute. Seems U have no problems with styling. Gr8 job!! U R very photogenic. Keep those pictures coming.
God Bless U
Jos

Locked Down In Chi-Town Sisterlocks Group (My Pics)

My Devotional Podcast - Spiritual Eyes Ministry Devotional Podcast